I sometimes have to cook for just myself and oddly, I am not one of those people that dreads it usually and just eats leftovers from 4 days ago. I hate to admit this but I cook better for myself than I do our crew of 6 total humans in this household at other times. I think I know why, I think its because I WONT COMPLAIN! When I have the other tiny humans here I know someone will not like something I’ve worked hard to make so they don’t starve to death on my watch.
Shrimp Taco night was one of those nights I was all to myself…(and I love it) Who says you can’t eat amazing food for one?
Fancy Shrimp Tacos
Shrimp Tacos: Seasoned sautéed shrimp with homemade guacamole, zucchini strings, salsa, colby jack cheese in a white corn tortilla shell. Extremely low carb!
- Prep Time : 20 minutes
- Cook Time : 25 minutes
- Yield : 4-5
Nutrition facts :
1. Heat skillet on medium heat. Pour olive oil in pan to lightly cover the bottom
2. Add onions and pressed garlic clove to heated skillet. Cook 5 minutes until the onions begin to get tender and clear.
2a. Cook your Taco shells according to directions!
3. Add the shrimp in your skillet. Sprinkle fajita seasoning on shrimp and stir to cover. You can use more or less fajita season according to your tastes. Continue to cook until shrimp is thoroughly cooked. Approximately 10 minutes. Stir frequently. I took my kitchen scissors and cut the shrimp into three pieces so they would fit in the shell easier. If you want to chop the shrimp before or after the cooking please feel free.
4. While the onions and shrimp are cooking you can begin the homemade Guacamole. Everyone has a recipe but this one is mine 🙂 Cut avocados in half, remove seeds, and cut "meat" into small squares and place in a small bowl. Next put your finely chopped onions in, garlic, salt, lime, and tomatoes. Mash slightly and stir with a fork. Mashing more will give a creamier texture and mashing less will give a chunky guac texture. ALL of the ingredients can be changed according to your tastes. More or less of anything will work about the same...find out what you like! *try oregano also for a change
5. Zucchini strings were my alternative to lettuce. You can use lettuce if you like. There are a couple ways you could make strings. One, a potato peeler would work just fine or Two, a lemon zester also make small shreds of the vegetable. This is of course if your don't have a shredder or a food processor that would do the same. Shred enough for 4-5 tacos, maybe 1/8 of a cup.
6. ASSEMBLY: Take your warm taco shells and add shrimp, gently smear on the guac (DONT BREAK THE SHELL 🙂 ) add your favorite salsa, zucchini strings, and CHEESE! Top will cilantro if you would like.
7. EAT and post on Facebook how much you love it and don't forget to tag me 🙂 Also, Pin this to Pinterest so you can keep it nice and safe 🙂